(Transcribed as written with the exception of paragraph insertions to make reading
easier. Anything in [ ] is my comment.)

Clinton Henry Co Mo Aug 22ond

Dear Parents, Father & Mother
Through the mercies of an alwise being, my life is still spared, and blessed
with good health, also with the privilege of writing to you the fate of my dear
and beloved Comrades.  On Seventhday [Saturday] the 16th inst [of August]
George Wilcoxon, Albert J. Hall and Franklin Barnard was killed in the Battle
at Lone Jack, Jackson County Mo.  Also Oliver Powel Mortally Wounded.  I
do not know enough about this affair to give you the full accounts, but I will
do the best that I can.  On the 14th inst Genrl Warren and all his available
forces [including Harrison B. Talbert] left this place [Clinton] and went North
on a Scout.  We soon got on the trail of about 4000 Rebels and was
following them up, us one day behind.  On Seventhday [Saturday] the 16th
we heard they had a Battle at Lone Jack, the Rebels gaining a victory and
capturing two pieces of Artillery.  Firstday morning [Sunday morning August
17th] we started for Lone Jack 12 miles distant.  About 10 O clock A.M. we
was within one mile of Lone Jack, here we could see plenty of Signs of the
aforesaid battle.  We still advanced on the Town not knowing whether the
Rebels was there or not.  And the Citizens could not or would not tells us
whether they were there or not.  When within a short distance of the town I
saw, at a little frame house at the side of the road, some of our boys.  I
jumped off my horse and ran into the house.  When to my utmost
astonishment I found it a hospital for our own wounded boys.  I first met
Jacob Rice with a flesh wound in his thigh.  Next was Martin Stone with his
right elbow all shattered by a ball.  On the other side of the house lay Lieut
Devlin with two severe wounds.  One ball passing through his testicles, an[o]
ther through the lower part of his abdomen.  Very doubtful about his
recovery.  By his side lay orderly Sergt Scott with a wound in his shoulder.
Thus they had layed for 24 hours without any medical aid.  And but little
assistance from any person.  I turned my attention to Martin Stone when he
addressed me thus; Harrison, says he, George Wilcoxon, Albert J. Hall,
Franklin Barnard is killed, and I suppose Oliver Powel is dead by this time.  
At this instant they called for us to come to our posts and I had to leave with
out getting in more inflammation [information].  Oliver Powel and all the rest
of the wounded (except what I have mentioned) was at some other house.  
We have since heard that five of our men was killed and sixteen wounded
out of about 30 men.  A force of 500 State Militia and this [battered] section
of our battery had left Lexington Mo a few days before in pursuit of a small
band of rbls.  Sixthday [Friday] night they camped at Lone Jack.  By daylight
next morning they were surround[ed] and fired into by from 3,000 to 6,000
rebels.  And them having all advantages and ten men to our one.  And
against such odds the State Militia done first rate.  But in spite of all their
efforts they were compelled to surrender, losing a great many lives and two
pieces of artillery.  The most of our men escaped, and I do not no whether
any of our own boys were taken prisoners or not.  They treated our
wounded first rate.  Firstday [Sunday] evening ambulances  came from
Lexington under a flag of truce and took all our wounded to Lexington Mo.  I
will now go to where I left the house and went to the guns.  We marched on
to a field and formed in line of battle.  Reports soon came to the Genrl that
they were surrounding us. And on account of us having only about 800 men
and a very poor position the Genrl ordered a retreat.  We fell back about
one mile on a nice prairie where we waited for reinforcements, which were
about 8 miles off.  Genrl Blunt with 2000 men and 6 pieces of artillery from
Kansas was after the same band.  In about two hours Genrl Blunts
command came up and while consulting what to do news came that the
rebels were retreating south.  
We pushed out after them and about dark came up with their rear, but it was
raining and dark pitch so we had to lay by til morning.  Next morning they
were gone.  We started out on their trail and followed them about 75 miles
south or rather S.W. and did not overtake them.  But I am sure if our Genrl
had a managed right they would of overtaken them.  The rebls traveled both
day and night and never stopped to feed but twice in going the 75 miles.  
People that saw them pass said they had our two cannons with them and a
secesh flag stuck up on each one.  We got back here [Clinton] last evening
after being gone 8 days and we stared with only 3 days provisions, wer got
along without suffering but fared very rough not a tent along with the whole
command.  While we were gone this post was moved to Sedala.  We were
going on there but heard last evening that [Union] Genrl Totten was coming
here [Clinton] with 3 or 4000 men on his way to recapture us, him hearing
that it was Genrl Warren that had the battle at Lone Jack, also heard that all
Warrens force was captured there.  Totten has now learnt the strait of
things.  And I don’t no what we will do.  I haven’t time to write any more, and
have wrote this in an awful hurry.  Remember me while far away from home
and now destitute of dear friends that seemed to me like brothers.  Your
most obedient son     H. Talbert
P.S. I haven’t received a letter from any person since I left Jeff City.  Direct
[letters] to Clinton Henry Co Mo  Care Leut H.T. Thomas Comandin

In an excerpt from another letter written to his Aunt Mary on Sept. 17th,
1862, Harrison writes:

…Poor George and several others of my friends are done receiving letters
in this world.  They have paid the debt that we yet owe.  You can imagine
how I felt when I went into the hospital at Lone Jack and took hold of Martin
Stones hand when he addressed me thus, Harrison; George Wilcoxon,
Albert J. Hall, Franklin Barnard is killed.  And I suppose Oliver Powel is dead
by this time.  I was struck with horror and dismay at this news.  Not knowing
until that minute that it was our boys that was in that battle the day before.  
And just as he finished telling me this our Lieut holloured [hollered] out for
the gunners.  I left the house, the floor of which was covered with wounded
and started for the guns expecting to go right into battled but such was not
the case.  I will not say anything more about this at present for doubtless
you have heard all about it before this time.  You know without me telling
what cronies me and George was.  I took him to be one of my best friends
on earth.  And he seemed as near to me as a brother.  Also Stone, Hall, and
Barnard was three respectable young men as the country could afford.  And
no doubt but their loss will be deeply regretted by all their friends.  Charley
Hunglford has lately died from the wounds he received at Lone Jack.  The
rest of the boys that were wounded there are getting along fine.  Our boys
are now all at Jefferson City except this section.

Letters written by Harrison B. Talbert; 3rd Indiana Battery